Image compression is a type of data compression applied to digital images, to reduce their cost for storage or transmission. Algorithms may take advantage of visual perception and the statistical properties of image data to provide superior results compared with generic data compression methods which are used for other digital data.
Methods for lossless compression:
- Run-length encoding – used in default method in PCX and as one of possible in BMP, TGA, TIFF
- Area image compression
- Predictive coding – used in DPCM
- Entropy encoding – the two most common entropy encoding techniques are arithmetic coding and Huffman coding
- Adaptive dictionary algorithms such as LZW – used in GIF and TIFF
- DEFLATE – used in PNG, MNG, and TIFF
- Chain codes
*However I will suggest you to use SVG graphics more, wherever it’s needed.
- If you will use compressed images, your web-page will load fast
- If you will use compressed images, it will make your website’s rank better on Google page speed insights
- It will improve analytics results
Credit: Brianna Miller